Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll
PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #119991] Tue, 17 May 2005 02:37 Go to next message
sneha_84
I am working with the Developer 2000 2.1 and Oracle 8i.

I try to add one attached library in the forms attached library.

When I does not want to give hard coded path to locate the library I put conversion.pll as the file name and let Oracle Run time find it run time.

It is prescribed that to find such files in run time we have to set
ORACLE_PATH OR FORMS50_PATH.

As you know My Oracle home is G:\Oracle

Where as when I Install D2k Its home is F:\ORANT.

My Project location is F:\Darap\darap_source.

In the system variable setting I put the

ORACLE_HOME as F:\ORANT
ORACLE_PATH as G:\Oracle

FORMS50_PATH as F:\ORANT.

The problem is that where ever I put the conversion.pll

It is not taking automaticaly.
As it documented it will search

current path first
then oracle home
then d2k home.

None are working and I unable to give the runtime path to my requested library.

Can any one suggest me what to do for this specific problem.

I does not want to hard code the path to library at any cost.

please help me.
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #119997 is a reply to message #119991] Tue, 17 May 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Make your FORMS50_PATH as F:\Darap\darap_source;F:\ORANT plus that which was already in there.

I assume that conversion.pll is in F:\Darap\darap_source or F:\ORANT.

When you did the attachment did you take the non-default 'yes' to remove path? If not, go back and either manually remove the 'prefix' in the properties panel or drop the library and then reattach it. Remember that whenever changing a library or program procedure that you have to do a 'compile all' (Ctrl-Sht-K) not just a 'compile' (Ctrl-K) before doing the generate (Ctrl-T).

I recommend that you ALWAYS do a Ctrl-Sht-K then Ctrl-T. I know it takes a bit longer but it will save you MUCH anguish in the long run.

David
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120001 is a reply to message #119997] Tue, 17 May 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sneha_84
I did in the same way you told

put forms50_path as F:\DARAP\darap_source

and ORACLE_PATH as F:\ORANT

and compiled with sht+CTRL+K
ctrl+t

Ctrl+Run
Should i need to restart the system in windows 2000 to set the system variable.

when I test echo %FORMS50_PATH% it display
F:\DARAP\darap_source

then is there any thing fuzzy here
still says unable to locate the library.

Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120029 is a reply to message #120001] Tue, 17 May 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saadatahmad

Well, your forms50_path should not look like F:\DARAP\darap_source, It should look like F:\ORANT;F:\DARAP\darap_source

Make the path like this. Then Open the conversion.pll in forms builder, save it in F:\DARAP\darap_source, compile it by Compile All (Ctrl+Shift+K) then Ctrl+T as suggested by djmartin and then open the form in which you want to attach the library and attach it. It should not give any error this way.

Regards.
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120133 is a reply to message #120029] Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
saadatahmad,

I have found that you need to place your 'sparsely-populated' development directory first, then your 'base, fully-populated' test directory second, then the system directories. [NONE of the directories may be empty, nor may they have a ' ' (space) in their names.]

I have found that [if] unless you have your oracle directories first, forms runtime will not pick up your versions of their demonstration applications, etc. I know for Java and webutil Java definitions you put the Oracle stuff first, but for Forms I have found that it is safer to put your stuff first.

David

Update: Change 'if' to 'unless'.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 02:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120134 is a reply to message #120001] Tue, 17 May 2005 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
sneha_84,

My apologies, the FORMS50_PATH is in your registry, it is not an environment property.

Close your Forms Builder and any other forms sessions you may be running.

Use regedit to open your registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then ORACLE. You will have an ALL_HOMES and one or more HOMEn entries. Look for the one that contains the FORMS entries. Change the FORMS50_PATH here.

[Suggestion: Create a new string value 'xxx'. Go to FORMS50_PATH, press F2, Ctrl-C (copy), go to 'xxx', F2, Ctrl-V (paste), add '_OLD' to string name. Go to FORMS50_PATH double click, Ctrl-C, go to FORMS50_PATH_OLD, double click, Ctrl-V.]

Always make sure you have a copy of the registry entry BEFORE you change it.

Put your working directory at the beginning of the FORMS50_PATH entry.

Close regedit. Go back to work!! Smile

Tell us how you get on.

David

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120152 is a reply to message #120029] Wed, 18 May 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sneha_84

It is Exactly correct and I did it.

I put the system variable

FORMS50_PATH as F:\ORANT;F:\DARAP\darap_source

it is working nicely

saadatahmad

Will you can explain how it solved what exactly

This FORMS50_PATH value do it up with this setting

will be thankfull if you go in depth of that.

with thanks sneha

Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120154 is a reply to message #120152] Wed, 18 May 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
The registry is where Oracle stores its information.

I suppose it is because you can have the same variable with different values in different oracle homes. Because if you used environment variables you could only have a single value for a particular variable.

David
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120167 is a reply to message #120154] Wed, 18 May 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saadatahmad

Hi,
With all due respect to djmartin, I don't agree with the statement below:

"I have found that if you have your oracle directories first forms runtime will not pick up your versions of their demonstration applications, etc."

Simply because Oracle recommends this in the documentation and also it's logical that First you mention where your application is installed and then specify what we want that application to do for us.
Below is just a copy and paste from Oracle Documentation:

FORMS60_PATH

Default: ORACLE_HOME\FORMS60\PLSQLLIB
Valid Values: any directory on any drive
Example:
FORMS60_PATH=C:\oracle\apps\forms;C:\myfiles
This parameter specifies the search path for files used in a Form Builder runtime application. These include form files (.fmx), menu files (.mmx), PL/SQL libraries (.pll), and other objects that the application attempts to load from a file at runtime. For example, if you import the image file scooter.tif, Form Builder searches in the directories specified by FORMS60_PATH to find that file.

FORMS60_PATH can specify multiple directories. Use a semi-colon (Wink to separate directory names in a list of paths.

ORACLE_PATH

Default: none
Valid Values: any directory on any drive
Example:
ORACLE_PATH=C:\oracle\apps\forms;C:\oracle\apps\graphics;
C:\oracle\apps\reports
This parameter specifies the search path for files referenced by a Forms, Graphics, or Reports Runtime. Note that the directories specified by ORACLE_PATH are searched after those specified by a product-specific parameter: FORMS60_PATH, GRAPHICS60_PATH, or REPORTS60_PATH.
ORACLE_PATH can specify multiple directories. Use a semi-colon (Wink to separate directory names in a list of paths.

Usage Notes

If you are using Reports Runtime, the combined length of ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_PATH should not exceed 255 characters
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120171 is a reply to message #120167] Wed, 18 May 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
My error.

I meant to say "I have found that unless you have your oracle directories first, forms runtime will not pick up your versions of their demonstration applications, etc."

Sorry.
Re: PDE-CAT006 cannot find .pll [message #120172 is a reply to message #120167] Wed, 18 May 2005 02:58 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Yes, I know that Oracle recommends that you put their directories first but I have found through working in different places that when you are running 9iDS or 10gDS (Developer Server) on your PC, and you are migrating/maintaining/enhancing an existing system, you need to have your sparsely populated directory precede the fully populated test environment directory. And if you are working with Designer Generated forms, and you have upgraded the Designer that is now on your machine, you need to keep your versions AHEAD of the Oracle directories.

So rule of thumb for Forms and Reports "Put your own stuff first".
Previous Topic: Problem in sending a parameter to report from form
Next Topic: :NEW.columnname is soprting in Oracle 9i R 2 for picture data.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:46:29 CDT 2024