Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » ...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz..
...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz.. [message #136088] Tue, 06 September 2005 01:06 Go to next message
orcl_dba
Hi..
I would like to ask a question , a problem whose solution i m unable to find.
Kindly i request you to plz try understand it .

I have a table named Teacher
and another table named Neighbour Teachers

Neighbour teachers are the teachers in school which have speciallity in same subject as that of parent teacher.

Suppose Teacher A has Chemistry as Main subj

there could be Teacher E, F, K , L ,Z
who have same speciality as that of A
so when we define Neighbours( CO-Linker)of A, it will contain the list of all
E,F, K L,Z

This data changes on day to day basis as any teacher from the neighbour list can be absent as well

Now this thing is captured in Excel Sheet and sent from all branches of school to the main Database center.

I have to process this information and insert the data in table
which will then be shown in Forms.

Is there any automated thing in Forms by which whenver this file comes, we can be able to first bring the data in a particular format.Any procedure/ Format..

In Excel the Format is like

Teacher Nehihbours
A E,F,G,K,Z etc

while in DB tables it should be

Teacher Neighbour

A E
A F
A G
A K

etc..

the list is long i mean it contains 50 rows and it is difficulto to daily manipulate it manually

ANy automation,, so that after arranging the data then i could automatically insert it into oracle DB

well this is the requirement and the system is made by management so i cant change the process.
i had to follow the process of using excel file as they dont want ot link up everthing in oracle except for head office..

Kindly give some urgent replies..

Hope to have some good solution for that ..
Do we generate a procedure so that by using Forms we can be able to insert records in database. instead of asking dba to use sqlloader etc at back end..

BR
Re: ...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz.. [message #136092 is a reply to message #136088] Tue, 06 September 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I forget - what versions of forms and database are you using?

David
Re: ...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz.. [message #136096 is a reply to message #136088] Tue, 06 September 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orcl_dba
Using Forms 6i and oracle 9i release 2
Re: ...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz.. [message #136101 is a reply to message #136096] Tue, 06 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Have you considered using an 'external table' ... I assume that the Excel spreadsheet will be 'locked down' so that the format will be consistent. Because you get a new copy (and only one copy) each day, instead of working with it as a CSV file using ora_ffi (search this forum for threads) you get the file as a fixed format flat file and attach it to the database as an 'external table'. Search OTN for 'external table' - start at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/statements_7002.htm#SQLRF01402 if you wish.

David
Re: ...Forms to Excel and vise Versa.. any body plz.. [message #136176 is a reply to message #136088] Tue, 06 September 2005 09:03 Go to previous message
magnetic
i can give you some hints
i know there is a way to read cell values from excel and put it on a displayitem in forms (search for excel to forms on internet for the sourcecode)
now you need to create as much display items as there are columns in a excel row.
read row by row from excel and put the value of each cell in to the display items in forms.

when all "loaded" in forms
create a procedure (in forms) to update your table with the values visible in forms...
Previous Topic: querying block
Next Topic: how to run forms?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 23:40:21 CDT 2024