Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ
How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #137697] Fri, 16 September 2005 02:50 Go to next message
corus
Please could someone suggest how I can order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ.
I need to do it in Forms with table ABC, so I cannot simply use a view which combines the two tables.

The two tables are linked thus:- ABC.id = XYZ.id
(It is a one to many relationship, but I am using a MIN function in XYZ.)

The desired order of 'id' is directly available (via several fields) in the XYZ table, but I want to effectively apply this order to the ABC table.

Your help on this problem would be much appreciated.
Re: How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #137911 is a reply to message #137697] Sun, 18 September 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You say:
Quote:

I need to do it in Forms with table ABC, so I cannot simply use a view which combines the two tables.
Would you please share your reasoning for this observation.

In my experience, if the view is constructed properly, Forms is able to base a block on a view as easily as a table.

David
Re: How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #137985 is a reply to message #137911] Mon, 19 September 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corus
I have got a form with a table, view and another table, which are all linked. The second table has a date of when actions need to be completed.

When the user wants to see their actions I need the order to be by the action date.

For general use the order is just based on the first table.

With our version of oracle we cannot update a view.

Thanks,

Michael
Re: How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #138078 is a reply to message #137985] Mon, 19 September 2005 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Please tell us the version of Oracle that you are using.

If the information, by which you wish to sort, is the DRIVING information, then base your block on that table.

Alternatively, if you have Designer, or a bit of time, base your block on a procedure.

David

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 19:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #138117 is a reply to message #138078] Tue, 20 September 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corus
I am using Oracle Database version 8i and Forms Developer version 6i.

Michael
icon4.gif  Re: How to order table ABC based on the fields in table XYZ [message #138234 is a reply to message #138117] Tue, 20 September 2005 17:44 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay ... Oracle 8i WILL do updatable views. Make sure that there are no group statements, no union statements, and that ALL the columns associated with the various primary keys exist in the the selected columns.

If you have problems, then post the table definitions and the view you are trying to create.

Look at 'user_updatable_columns' for your user and view and check whether the columns in which you are interested are updatable.

David

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 23:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Achieving last record message in correct place
Next Topic: Object Libraries and grouping library tab objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:48:49 CDT 2024