Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Count # of records of block based on flag insert mode
Count # of records of block based on flag insert mode [message #185850] Thu, 03 August 2006 17:38 Go to next message
reddy2006
This form is Driving me crazy. Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this. I have 3 columns Interface_name, effective_date, required_flag in a block. For example if the data is as follows. before saving (inserting into database) I have to count the number of records for each distinct combination of interface_name and required_flag.
I am writing this on Key-Commit trigger.

Interface_name     effective_date       required_flag
Interface1  -----      jun 20    ------           Y
Interface2  -----      jun 21    ------           N
Interface1  -----      june 15   ------           Y
Interface1  -----      jun 14    ------           Y
Interface2  -----      jun 1     ------           N
Interface3  -----      may 4     ------           Y

For the above example I want count_interface_yes = 2 and count_interface_no = 1
I am trying to two loops using go_record but not able to figure out how to acheive this. Can anyone help me write the logic?
Re: Count # of records of block based on flag insert mode [message #185992 is a reply to message #185850] Fri, 04 August 2006 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jowahl
it would be easier if you_re commiting and AFTER that you're counting the distinct values from the database and display the results on the form.

if this is not possible and you don't know how many different values of interface_name may exist, i'd recommend to loop through the records and store (add) the values in a pl/sql table.

after that read the counts and display them.
i can give you some examples if you like ....
Re: Count # of records of block based on flag insert mode [message #186019 is a reply to message #185850] Fri, 04 August 2006 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reddy2006
I can't do this on the database side as I have to validate the data before saving as it has to check for few conditions such as atleast 2 interfaces should have the flag as 'Yes'.

I don't know how many values of interface names are there. please send me any sample code thats helpful.
Re: Count # of records of block based on flag insert mode [message #186228 is a reply to message #186019] Mon, 07 August 2006 02:31 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I am assuming that have two and only two Interface Names.

In your control (non-database) block create a couple of number items and a couple of varchar2 item big enough to hold an Interface Name, they don't have to be displayed.

In your When-New-Form-Instance set them to '0' (zero) and blank.

Then in the When-Checkbox-Changed test to see if the Interface_name_1 has been set, if yes then based on whether the checkbox istrue or false (remember they can be turned off) increment or decrement the counter for Interface_name_1. If the Interface_name_1 is set, does it match this Interface name? If yes, test checkbox and increment or decrement. If set and defferent then do the counting in the second storage pair.

If you have MANY interface name then you need to use an array.

David
Previous Topic: Form-File
Next Topic: changing the text according to selection..can this be done using text_io package?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:30:56 CDT 2024